Sunday 25 September 2011

San Francisco

What a shock being in civilisation again is!  There are traffic lights and cars everywhere, one way systems, emergency vehicles, and tricky map reading to be done, as well as countless people, noise and lights demanding attention from every side.  After what seems to be weeks of beautiful cycling down fairly quiet roads, seeing almost no one, and no junctions, shops or buildings it seems such a contrast.  Wearing manky trousers covered in chain oil somehow seems unacceptable, and having to dodge pedestrians on the side walk is simply bizarre.  The hostel is pleasant but the noise of the traffic unpleasant after nights under canvas listening to the dull roar of the ocean.
I have cycled over 800 miles, but it doesn't really feel like it, and the last week or so has been simply super.  The views stunning, the route amazing and every minute a delight.  I know I must be fitter but the hills still feel as hard as they did!  Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge by bike was rather unpleasantly brilliant, there was almost no view because of the cloud, and the wind was exhilarating, we stopped half way and I relished in listening to the fog horn; it was exciting crossing such an icon at the end of the ride.
I must plan the next part of the trip, so will leave off for now, but wanted to let you all know I had reached San Francisco!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny, have you been receiving my e-mails? Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ride across the bridge was awful! Blowing like crazy and zero view, oh well. I had a good time watching the tourists in shorts and t-shirts at the bottom of the bridge start riding up, I knew they were in for a shock when the hit that crazy cold wet wind!

    It was great fun riding with you to SF, I had a long but pleasant train ride back to Seattle and am home sweet home. I took my 13 yr. old twins out camping this weekend so one last camp setup and teardown before the end of the summer! Find me on FB and friend me, I'll get my pictures uploaded soon.

    ReplyDelete