Tuesday 2 August 2011

Kayaking on the Missouri


Last year I Kayaked on the Missouri and it was such a perfect afternoon that I held the memory in my mind as being one of my happiest moments in recent years; in fact it was one of the persuading factors for me to quit the job and come travelling.  This year I was really looking forward to floating downstream again in the sunshine; but I was cautious because I know that these moments of perfection can't be repeated.  However, we did go paddling, and it was idyllic, and I had a wonderful day.  There really is nothing quite like messing about on rivers - isn't that what Ratty says?  It is so true though, there is something so tranquil about the moving water, and something so beautiful about the way everything looks in the sunshine.  The Missouri I find rather exciting too, it is such a ridiculously long river, and crosses most of the states, and historically was so important, even I have read novels about the boats that went up and down it.  The part we were on though was less used as big boats never made it up that far, but it doesn't stop it from interesting me.  We had a very leisurely day, we just got in our boats and let the current take us downstream until we got out again, and enjoyed the stunning scenery and wildlife.  There were of course plenty of white pelicans, at one point a bakers dozen of them cruised above our heads like kites, and gleamed white in the sunshine; then we saw herons, and a bald headed eagle.  It was a beautiful day.



No comments:

Post a Comment