Monday 29 August 2011

Summer Update Part One: Cycling in Washington

So sorry to everyone who has checked and not had an update for a while, computer access has been sparse, and right now I am using a computer in Tillamook library so I can't add pictures, but I hope to fill you in on some of the blanks.
I left Tacoma at the start of August with my bike, and quickly realised that despite trips made in the past there was no was I was going to manager with just rear paniers, and so shortly after setting out I stopped in Olympia for front paniers which are beautiful, shiny and red.  (I confess that I even got the bus to Olympia to avoid the traffic, buses in Washington are fitted with bike carrying racks on the front.)  Whilst having a front rack fitted I enjoyed the local French Patisserie and had a conversation with a very nice local.  That first day was a hard bike ride, mostly due to the traffic on the route I took to the coast (which was recommended in my book) I struggled, but I expected to struggle, and finally reached the campsite and collapsed into my sleeping bag, without even sampling the delights of the lake.  The next morning I lay in bed for at least an hour thinking, I must get up, I have another 10 miles to do on that main road.  I wish I had Naomi and Kate here to make me get up!  I then had the bright idea of going to the grocery store and asking about buses, which I did and caught it to the coast - I could have gone all the way from Tacoma to the coast by bus and avoided the main road altogether - doh!  Once on the coast - cycling was a pleasure, I got up at about 6am and was on the road early.  I had the road to myself, and the creeks and bays were often just loosing their pyjamas of mist.  I saw lots of wildlife too, one morning a mountain lion crossed the road - I couldn't believe my eyes, another morning a deer, and another morning and evil dog ran towards me at full speed barking and snarling, I peddled form my life!  The scenery was lovely, and I averages about fifty miles a day doing ten miles an hour which was comfortable.  It is enough time to see enchanting views, to smell the mudflats, to take in the birds, and to glide through the towns.
My biggest problem with the cycling was eating enough as I wasn't feeling hungry necessarily, and I seemed to be in very remote areas without many grocery stores.  The best bit about that part of the trip were the quiet mudflats, Creeks, secret beaches and beautiful scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment