Wednesday 23 November 2011

In and around Washington DC

Some photos for you all to enjoy!


 We went to Annapolis, which I have wanted to see since reading Cynthia Voigts description of it in Dicey's Song - unfortunately I don't think I got the effect she described as it was freezing cold and rainy! The historic downtown was very pretty, and had the smallest houses and the most crooked streets that I have seen in the States.  It was interesting I thought in that the shops either seemed to be catering to wealthy holiday sailing people, or to the Naval College people with not much in between!

 This was my favourite painting in the Washington Art Gallery - I love it!


 This is the house that Mr Grape Nuts daughter lived in - I was super excited (being a life long grape nuts fan!) The house was super, and believe it or not I had an almost argument with the security man at the front door: I insisted on taking off my cycling shoes which had metal cleats in the bottom so as to not damage the marble and wooden floors - he said it wasn't necessary.  Oh, how different to my last job!  The house had all sorts of goodies inside, Faberge eggs, paintings, and super interior decoration - the Americans really seem to do a good job on their manor houses, compared to the crumbling comfortless piles in Britain, much more comfortable I think (although I think I prefer the cold English version more.)  There was also a totally super collection of wedding related dresses on display which I enjoyed!
This was my very yummy apple and cranberry grape nut crumble!  Interestingly, I have now tasted all the other cereals made by Post, which aren't available in Britain - and Grape Nuts are the best!

In the last few weeks I have also been to the zoo - the elephants were grand, the pandas amazing, and the gorilla picked his nose and ate it (had he copied a child visitor once?) - The American History Museum where I most enjoyed the First Ladies Dress Collection, and delighted in a trip to buy presents at the whole foods market.  When I leave America I will really miss the amazing whole foods shops (amongst many other things).

No comments:

Post a Comment