Wednesday 23 November 2011

Visiting Baltimore

I took the train to Baltimore for two days which was super - I travelled so light, just one handbag - such a joy after all the bags and bike etc of the last few months.  I felt as though I was travelling light too - a new city, a harbour, three art galleries, and just me to please with the sun shining, it was delicious!  Upon my arrival I had a huge lunch at an Indian restaurant, my first Indian in months, and then strolled down to the harbour.  The harbour was beautiful, surrounded by generally ugly 1960's buildings and yet the total image was interesting and attractive.


I strolled into a rather dated and small shopping mall, which had a central covered courtyard filled with the most amazing sound.  I rounded the corner to find a well built man singing his heart out whilst he worked.  He was clearly enjoying the acoustics the space provided but he was awesome!  He was also cutting fudge, which seemed very out of keeping with both his looks and the sound he made.  It made me smile.

I continued to the American Visionary Art Gallery, which I really enjoyed.  The art was fun, interactive and I really enjoyed learning about Visionary Art which I found fascinating. (JL, if you are reading this pass on my thanks to RL- I remember talking to him about Visionary art back in January)  I especially enjoyed a video on Art Cars!

The Youth Hostel was a pleasure, a beautiful old building with marble fire places, friendly staff friendly guests and clean facilities.

The next day I visited the Walters Art Museum - which has to have had the best written signage and interpretation I have seen - I took more than 20 photos of signs!  They had a super collection from all over, and including some very rare and interesting things which I had not seen the like of before despite hours in museums and galleries.  I really enjoyed it.  In the afternoon I went to the Baltimore museum of art - primarily for an exhibition which included Durer prints and prints by Picasso.  By that time I was rather museumed out!

The station with a fun male/female statue

The Visionary Art Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment